|A Minnesota Problem: Puppy and Kitten Mills
News, Action, and Updates
• PLANTING YOUR GARDEN? Shop at any participating Cub Foods Greenhouse between May 1-31st and 15% of your purchases (annuals, perennials, shrubs, veggies, and herbs) will be donated to Animal Folks MN. It's easy to do — just click here for the flyer and list of participating locations.
• TAKE ACTION: Under current Minnesota law, body-gripping traps may legally be set in places that are frequented by people and their dogs — often leading to tragedy. Senate File 1325/House File 1655 would require body-grip traps to be set in a safe manner to reduce the likelihood that dogs would be maimed or killed. Call your legislators now and ask their support of Senate File 1325 and House File 1655. For contact information and details of issue: TRAPPING
• UPDATE: Anthony Sather, a Princeton man who videotaped himself as he killed his girlfriend's dog named Draco, pleaded not guilty to all three charges. Sather was charged with 3 felony counts — Counts 1 and 2 are 5th degree drug possession and Count 3 is Animal Torture. Case is in Sherburne County. Pre-trial hearing is scheduled for May 26 with court trial June 4. Below is the original complaint for this case and news links:
• UPDATE: On December 30, 2014, the MN Supreme Court denied the petition of Dayna Bell for further review of the case. On October 20, 2014, the Court of Appeals affirmed the conviction of dog breeder Dayna Bell (found guilty of 13 felony counts of animal cruelty) — Bell then filed a petition to review with the MN Supreme Court. Read more: Dog Breeder-Dayna Bell
• NEWS: Learn how cruelty complaints filed by Animal Folks against one dog breeder in Pine River led to an investigation and the seizure of over 130 dogs/puppies: Breeder - Rowell
• MN LEGISLATIVE SESSION BEGAN January 5, 2015: To follow MN Senate and House actions, go to: Minnesota State Legislature
Animals make us better humans.